What does it take to restore former (4.x, 5.x, 6.0,  6.1) Backspace/Delete
behavior?

I'm currently sitting at my UltraSparc/Solaris-2.6 machine logged into a
5.0 machine, a 5.2 machine, a 6.1 machine and a 6.2 machine.  I have $TERM
set to "xterm-r5" on the 6.x machine since "xterm" gives nasty underline
and reverse video behavior when used with this Solaris X11.

The keyboard is set up by default so that both the DEL key and the BS key
are interpreted as DEL which is interpreted by most applications in the
"classic" Unix fashion, deleting the character to the left of the cursor.
This works fine except for a couple applications that interpret DEL as
deleting to the right and require BS to do the normal Delete function.
For those applications that require "Backspace" to do "Delete" I have
entries like the following (or I use CTRL-H for rarely-used apps):
--------------------
! *** Stuff to fix fact that Motif wants the "Backspace" key rather
! ***   than the "Delete" key to delete characters left of cursor
netscape*defaultVirtualBindings: \
        osfBackSpace    :       <Key>Delete\n\
        osfDelete       :       <Key>BackSpace
--------------------

This whole thing works fine except for RedHat 6.2 regardless, for instance,
of whether I'm using vi in an xterm window ($DISPLAY not set) or whether
I'm using Emacs either in its own window ($DISPLAY set) or in the xterm
window ($DISPLAY not set or 'emacs -nw').

Logged into 6.2 machine, the delete (erase previous character) function
doesn't work in vi or in Emacs using its owh X-window.  With $DISPLAY
not set or with 'emacs -nw' it works OK.

Is there a list of what got changed (terminfo, Emacs/Vi global startup
files, ...), so I can modify the 6.2 machines so they behave like all the
rest?  It's much more important to me to have something that works like our
Suns and the other RedHat machines than something that works with Debian
machines (I don't interact with any Debian machines).

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)