Charles Galpin wrote:

> hey.
>
> you don't need 6.2. Just download and install that version of postgrresql.
> I'm running 6.5.3-6 on a 6.1 box just fine. I recommend building from the
> .src.rpm if you can.
>
> let me know if you need any help ding that.
>
> charles
>
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, p-thilts wrote:
>
> > Charles Galpin wrote:
> >
> > > It's
> > >
> > > postgresql-6.5.3-6

> > Charles:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply on [RH-list-2]Postgresql and Red Hat 6.2
> >
> > I am running Virtuoso between 2 machines on my network and using it to
> > access a remote postgresql database .   OpenLink (who supply Virtuoso)
> > have been working with me on a connection problem betweem Virtuoso and
> > Postgresql on the remote machine.  The version of Red Hat on the remote
> > machine is Red Hat 6.0 and the version of Postgresql for this Red Hat
> > distribution is 6.4.2.    They tested Posgresql v 6.5.3 which apparently
> > works with Virtuoso.  I was checking which version of Posgresql was on
> > Red Hat 6.2 because I was thinking of getting the Red Hat 6.2
> > distribution.
> >
> > Thanks again for your reply to [RH-list-2]Postgresql and Red Hat 6.2.
> >
> > Bye-thanks_TED

Charles:

I revisited your note because in a way you have answered my last question
which I put to Peter.

 You indicated that you were "running 6.5.3-6 on a 6.1 box just fine."  And
you also said that  "I recommend building from the.src.rpm if you can."

The LAST question that I put to Peter in my thankyou was whether the new
Postgresql organization (as explained in the README) was actually part of the
6.1 and/or 6.2 Red Hat distributions.

You said you were running 6.5.3-6 on a 6.1 box but it was not clear to me
whether you  installed rpms downloaded from the Postgresql web site or if
they were included in the Red Hat vs 6.1 distribution you installed.  I
suspect they were included in the 6.1 distribution because a number of people
responded saying  Postgresql version was 6.5.3-x  for Redhat 6.1 and 6.2.
Therefore maybe they are the same as those rpms on the Postgresql web site -
but not necessarily.  Also, you did not indicate if you were running the
fully featured Postgresql with perl, tcl, servers and clients, etc.
Basically, that's why I left the question standing with Peter.

 I'm relatively new to Linux and even newer to Red Hat distributions, and
tend to seek clarification anywhere I sense ambiguity.   This comes from
years of experience in IT (Information Technology) where I had to justify
project recommendations based on research while not given the means to
experiment, prototype, and do hands on analysis.  So, if the head and paper
analysis made a mistake which affected an approved project or it's timeline,
one's head was likely to be cut off and for sure one's credibility was
lost(forever).  This is basically an apology!  I'm really just getting used
to the 'try it first,  worst that can happen is it bombs'  approach to
computing that a lot of Linux hackers have taken.  One has to be able to undo
what bombs.  I tried that approach several times to my dismay. In one
instance I changed a pointer(at that time not even understanding the concept
of pointer) to a key library, and the whole system went down.  I sweat blood
for hours and to this day can't remember how I fixed it.  I still shudder
about that one.   Lots of other disasters with trying things before I
understood what was happenning.    I don't like to bother people needlessly
but I still sometimes miss things or don't look in the right places for
information, or don't assimilate properly what I've read because most of
everything is still new to me, but I do try.

Anyway, YES, I would appreciate help on this, thankyou for offering, and I
will let you know when I run into difficulty.  Note that I did not say: "IF I
run into difficulty".   I can see it now, more pain on the way.

Bye-Thanks_TED