Anurag Jalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I must place an order for a SCSI DAT drive for my Redhat box within 12
>hours .. preferably a HP product .. can anyone suggest a good model # that
>works great with Linux ... I need a capacity of about 2-4 Gb

I've had good luck with HP's DAT8 and DAT40 drives.  I'd go with the
largest drive you feel you can afford unless you're sure you won't be
adding any more disk space to the server.  One thing to keep in mind about
the HP drives is "advertised" storage space:

DAT8 = 8Gb compressed / 4Gb native
DAT40 = 40Gb compressed / 20Gb native

I don't know *anyone* who gets 2:1 compression ~55 to 60% is the best I've
ever been able to attain.  I wish HP would just list the native storage
capacity and not the compressed.  That said, I generally don't use
compression unless necessary because it slows the backup down considerably.

The DAT40 drive is fast - really fast - when writing to a DDS-4 tape but
slows way down when writing to a DDS-2 tape.  I figured the only difference
between DDS-2 and 4 was the length of the tape but apparently DDS-4 writes
in a different manner that not only makes it faster but hold more as well.

Be sure whatever drive you wind up with is compatible with your make/model
of SCSI card.  The DAT8 internal uses a 50-pin wide connector, the DAT40
internal uses the high-density 68-pin type.

HTH

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician