it's in /etc/inittab.  on a rh  box I have the following entry that I believe does
it

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
# xdm is now a separate service
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Have to admit when I read your not I jumped out to my rc*.d directories and looked
thinking "That can't be right.  All the same?"  Then I remembered the respawn deal
in itnittab.  This will restart xdm every time it is killed or dies for some
reason.

Hope this helps
Bret