At 04:05 PM 4/22/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Afternoon Everyone:
>
>When I had Red Hat 6.1 installed on my machine, I had the following 4
>lines at the end of my rc.local file:
>
>   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>
>   /sbin/ipchains -F forward
>   /sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
>   /sbin/ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -s 192.168.1.2 -j MASQ
>
>This allowed me to have my internal Windows machine make use of my cable
>modem Internet connection.  I just did a clean install on Red Hat 6.2, and
>attempted to do exactly the same steps.  This runs, and if I do an
>ipchains -L forward, it shows the rule in place.  However, it doesn't
>appear to be working.  Further, I noticed that I can't ping the
>internal interface of the Windows machine from the Linux box, and vice
>versa.  Both cards work just fine if I ping them from their own
>machines, and the connection works if I reinstall Red Hat 6.1.  Anyone
>think of a reason why it's not working or something I might be missing?
>
>- Mike

Is there a difference in the output of route between 6.1 and 6.2?
It sounds like you may not have a route set up for the internal network.
Ping would fail both ways because the Linux box would try to send the
packets out the default route.  It would send all traffic for the windows
box out the wrong interface.

A quick way to check this is to do an ifconfig, then ping the windows box,
and another ifconfig.  See what interface the transmit count goes up on.

Mikkel