On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Martin R. Gonzalez wrote:
>     I am planning to transform many of my cds to mp3 so I can listen to them
> from the computer.
>     Therefore I would like to know which sound card I should get in order
> not to lose any sound quality. Besides that, I am planning to do the job
> using linux and hence I need to know which card is thes best for the task
> and if it is supported under linux.

It's not the sound card that matters at all, it is your cd-rom.  The cd-rom
never converts the cd-audio to analog, so the sound card is not involved.

Buy a plextor or yamaha cd-rom for the highest quality, but what ever you have
may already support digital audio extraction. Check out cdparanoia to rip
cd-audio.  Check out www.freshmeat.net to find a good mp3 converter.

--
\ \/ / _       |~\  _ In God We Trust. All Others Pay Cash.
 >  < / \|\  /|+-< | |    "The world is a comedy to those that think,
/ /\ \\_/| \/ ||__)|_|     a tragedy to those who feel." - Horace Walpole