Thanks for the input.

As I mentioned in another post, I used cfdisk which worked in a way I
had expected. When I replaced my hda8 with a smaller partition, the new
partition was given the same name; hda8. Thanks for that. ;-)

Of course, if I then want to fill the remaining 'hole' from the end of
hda8 to beginning of hda9, hda9 and hda10 will be renumbered to hda10
and hda11 while the new partition, filling the hole, gets to be hda9.
Makes some sense after all.

The most important thing for me was that I had a confirmation that
partitions actually *are* getting renumbered in these situations. That's
what scared me so. If I'm fully aware of it, I can update my fstab
accordingly before rebooting.

Regards
Gustav

--
pgp = Pretty Good Privacy. To get my public pgp key, send an e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit my web site at http://www.schaffter.com