I've been working for the better part of two days (I am a little ashamed
to admit)  on gettting a redhat 6.2 dial on demand thing working and all
the associated routing stuff working.  This is not your normal default
route to the internet type of deal, but that is beside the point I am
asking about here.  I have pppd working in demand mode with all the
stuff I need but I am having problems understanding what is happening
when I try to do:

ifup ppp0

the process rocks along until the exec  ppp-watch in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp.  At this point the thing just
hangs until the first packet arrives that needs the interface to be up
and pppd dials.

I think I would like to interface with the redhat scripts cleanly so I
won't get bitten by an upgrade later on but maybye I should just roll my
own script. and dump it into rc.local which is where I was going to put
the ifup ppp0 command anyway.

The exec is in an if statement :
if [ "$1" != daemon ] ; then
  # just in case a full path to the configuration file is passed in
  ifcfg=$(basename $1)
  shift
echo " in if \$1 != daemon \$@ = $@"               #this is mine to
track how far I was getting
  # let ppp-watch do the right thing
  exec /sbin/ppp-watch "$ifcfg" "$@"
fi

I can run ifup-ppp daemon ifcfg-ppp0 and get the connection to work but
end up with the thing running in my shell.

Should I just nohup it with & at the end and be done with it?

Here is the /etc/ppp options:
lock
demand
idle 20

here is network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:

DEVICE="ppp0"
ONBOOT="no"
USERCTL="no"
PEERDNS="yes"
MODEMPORT="/dev/modem"
LINESPEED="115200"
PERSIST="yes"
DEFABORT="yes"
DEBUG="yes"
INITSTRING="AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X2 &c1 E1 Q0"
DEFROUTE="no"
HARDFLOWCTL="yes"
ESCAPECHARS="no"
PPPOPTIONS="demand"