On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Manuel A. Camacho Q. wrote:

> > I'd caution keeping the insane amount of swap, especially on a mail
> > server. Yes, 99% of the time it won't use a fraction of the swap, but that
> > 1% of the time it will come in handy or keep the machine from running out
> > of memory. Unless you are cramped for space, I'd keep the swap around.
> >
> > Granted 1GB -> 256MB RAM is a bit much, I think the general rule of thumb
> > is 2 x Real RAM for server type machines...
> >

> Hi, Bill!
>
> Have you tried with an smaller swap, about 10% to 25% over the normally
> expected swap condition (your 99%), and setting a swap archive for the
> "just in case" 1%?
>
> Never done that, but just wanted to know about the performance of such a
> solution...
>
> -Manuel.

Hey Manuel,

By swap archive do you mean a swapfile as opposed to a dedicated swap
partition? I prefer the dedicated, especially on a busy mail server, the
swaping through the file system can hurt the situation more than then a
memory shortage. Also, with a swapfile I assume you mean activate it when
needed, I have run into situations where by that time it is too late;
either the system is too busy to get respond or there isn't enough memory
to even login.

Granted, this is mainly with busy servers, workstations or lightly loaded
servers don't usually run into situation like that...

Bill Carlson