I guess I should have posted my little shell script I use to do this
when I sujested 'eject'. I make a sym link to this script for each slot,
named cd1, cd2, cd3 etc, and when I run them, that slot is selected.

#!/bin/sh

# selects and mounts the correct CD slot based on
# the name of the executable cd1, c2, cd3, cd4

# default to cd1
slot=0

case "$0" in
  *cd1)
        slot=0
        ;;
  *cd2)
        slot=1
        ;;
  *cd3)
        slot=2
        ;;
  *cd4)
        slot=3
        ;;
esac

echo "one moment please..."

# unmount it if it's mounted already
if ( grep /etc/mtab -e /mnt/cdrom2 -q ); then
      umount /mnt/cdrom2
      echo "cdrom unmounted";
fi

eject -c $slot /dev/cdrom2      # select the  slot

mount /dev/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2   # mount it

hth
charles