Chris,

According to the Red Hat Manual, this is how to do it:

Testing xdm Using telinit - The telinit command is used to change your Red
Hat Linux system's "run level".  It is the run level that controls various
aspects of system operation, including whether xdm should be stared or not.
Newly -installed Red Hat Linux systems use run level 3 as their default;
this results in the character-cell login prompt you've seen.  Since xdm is
stared at run level 5 you'll need to issue the command:

/sbin/telinit 5

Please Note: You will need to be logged in as root in order to use telinit.
Also not that you should not be running anything else on your Red Hat Linux
system when you change run levels, as any running programs may be killed by
the run level change.

If everything is configured properly, after a short delay you should see an
xdm login screen.  Log in, verifying that an X desktop appears.  Then log
out to make sure that xdm reappears.  If it does, your system is configured
properly to automatically start X.  If there are problems, you can go back
to run level 3 using telinit (ie, "/sbin/telinit 3"), or by rebooting.

Editing /etc/inittab - The file /etc/inittab is used to, among other things,
determine the system's default run level.  We need to change the default run
level from 3 to 5; therefore we'll need to edit /etc/inittab.  Using the
text editor of your choice, change this line in /etc/inittab:

id:3:initdefault:

When you're done, it should look like this:

id:5:initdefault:

Please Note:  Make sure you change only the number 3 to 5!  Do not change
anything else, otherwise your Red Hat Linux system may not boot at all!
When you've made the change, exit the editor and use this command to review
your handiwork:

less /etc/inittab

Then reboot and X should start automatically.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]