From: Hal Burgiss [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2000 7:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Router

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 06:37:25PM -0500, Joel Lansden wrote:
> I have a DSL Circuit through my phone company (Bellsouth) - they
> assign the IP's by DHCP.  I want to be able to share this circuit
> for all the servers & clients on my network as the default.  I have
> been told that Linux will do this, but I need a jumping-off point.

Yes, this is not difficult, and works well. (Doing this with BS DHCP
here.) Assuming you want Linux to be the DSL/internet gateway, yes? Is
Linux connected now? If BS gave you a PCI or USB modem, you have to
cross that hurdle first as neither work with Linux.

What you need in essence is an external, ethernet modem like the
Alcatel SpeedTouch (BS does have this). Then 2 NICs in the Linux box,
one to BS and one to a hub. Setup ipmasquerading (NAT) using ipchains,
and your firewall (!!!) on the Linux box. If the NICs are recognized
and working properly, just start 'pump' (DHCP client), and you should
get an IP from BS. Set the default gateway on other LAN boxes to the
IP of the 2nd NIC (internal one going to the hub). If you have
problems with the BS aspects of this, better off posting in
bellsouth.net.support.adsl probably. A sample ipchains/NAT script:
http://personal.bellsouth.net/~hburgiss/linux/ipchains.html. Other BS
stuff: http://personal.bellsouth.net/~hburgiss/dsl/survival.

Good luck!

--