Tom,

I'm puzzled.

"slocate" has always seemed pretty innocuous.  How would running it corrupt
your installation?  RedHat systems have been running it (or updatedb) by
default every night for years.  Did the disk containing /var/lib get
filled?

How about running rpm verify to see what might have gotten damaged?  Going
through the output of that is a bit tedious, but you can do it fairly
quickly.  Don't try to hold your breath while the rpm -Va runs, though. :-)

    pete

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)