bob jones wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> For what it's worth: I posted a similar question several times during a
> period when I tried to get PLIP running between two Linux-running PC's.
> never did get it working completely -- always something would work, and
> something would not work. Basically I could never communicate both ways
> between the machines with all of the methods for exchanging files.

We beat on that subject for several hours here in Tech Support, plenty
of Doc's that say do this and do that and it will work. Let me offer
this gem from trying to get a printer to work for the better part of a
year, at home. IF you have EVER run samba on your machine, it'll put
it's hoots into the parallel port to the point that doing the: cat
"yourtext
" > /dev/lp (or any other lp device we tried) ...will utterly fail. Only
after removing ALL the samba packages did Calamity's printer work.

Why? Beats me. No clue to this day. PLIP might be brought down by the
same problem. If your printer isn't working, PLIP won't as well. If your
printer is working with samba, samba might interfer with PLIP. Food for
thought, as usual your mileage may vary. Ric

--
:  Ric "Wayward" Moore   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   :
:   "If you can afford it, you don't want it"   :