> Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:48:08 -0400
> From: Timothy Reaves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: RedHat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Odd file / filesystem problems...
>
>     I have two things that are happening that I don't think should.
>
>     First, in my home directory I have a linked directory I created with
> the command 'ln -s /opt/work /home/treaves/work'.  Now, when I am in the
> work directory and type 'mv filename ../dev/", the file is not moved to
> the directory.  Instead the file is moved/renamed to /opt/dev .  This is
> not what I expect.  If I do a dir ../dev (where dev is a directory in my
> home directory) I get a No Such File error message.

You need to modify your expectations. :-)  Unlike other creatures, a
directory has only ONE PARENT.  In the case of the work directory you
mention, the parent of "/opt/work" is "/opt".  You've made a symbolic
link which is essentially a POINTER or ANOTHER PATH TO REACH that work
directory, but ".." refers to the REAL PARENT (/opt) of the work
directory.  Note that if you do
            cd /home/treaves/work; cd ..
you'll end up in /opt.

The moral of the story is that you should avoid trying to use ".." in
directories that you've reached through symbolic links.  This is one of two
common confusions that people have with symlinks; the other is getting
the "ln -s" backwards.

>     Second, and I'm not positive that this is filesystem, but that is
> what I suspect, if I try and transefer large files (30 meg), after the
> first one my computer locks so hard that I have to power off.  When I
> re-boot I usally have file damage (not to the file I was coping).  This
> happens if I use ftp or samba.

I don't know about this one.  You need to provide more information.  Are
you transferring between two Linux/Unix machines or between Linux and
Windoze?  I assume from your mention of Samba, that one of the computers
is Windoze.  What are the machines and operating systems?  In which
direction are you doing the transfer.  Which machine is locked up?
Does "after the first one" mean that one is successfully transfered and the
next transfer does the lockup?

I've transferred >600 megabyte files (like ISO CD images) between Linux
and other Unix machines in either direction with no problem.

>     Any ideas?  Thanks.

        pete peterson
        GenRad, Inc.
        7 Technology Park Drive
        Westford, MA 01886-0033

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        +1-978-589-7478 (GenRad);  +1-978-256-5829 (Home: Chelmsford, MA)
        +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX); +1-978-589-7007 (Main GenRad FAX)