-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Cameron Simpson
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 5:37 AM
To: dattatraya
Subject: Re: xwindows

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 03:28:26PM +0530, dattatraya wrote:
| i created a non privileged user on my linux box(rh6.0) but i am unable to
| use xwindows. i get a authentication failure message once i give the
command
| startx.
| can anyone help?

Include a complete transcript of the startx output. (Use the "script"
command.)
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Complete honesty in word and deed is a good way to get punched out.
        - Shanti Goldstein

sorry for the delay in writing back. i was having problems with my internet
connection.
anyway i am including a transcript of the messages. i hope u can figure out
something. well the strange characters u see maybe due to the fact that i
copied the file into winndows after mounting windows in linux.

>>Script started on Sat May 27 13:53:26 2000
>>[root@localhost /root]# su scum
>>[scum@localhost /root]$ startx
>>Authentication failed
>>
>>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>>giving up. xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X
server xinit:  No >>such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>>[scum@localhost /root]$ su
>>Password:
>>[root@localhost /root]#

then i tried to run startx in the home dir of user scum but to no success.
the transcript is as follows............

>>[root@localhost /root]# su scum
>>[scum@localhost /root]$ cd /home/scum
>>[scum@localhost scum]$ startx
>>Authentication failed
>>
>>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>>giving up. xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X
server xinit:  No >>such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>>[scum@localhost scum]$ start     su
>>Password:
>>[root@localhost scum]# startx

i hope u can help me....