Hello Good People an Hardware Guru's:

Apparently something went awry with my original email. I guess everyone thinks I'm
a real dope. However, to restate my question more clearly, since the first
partition on hdc is a Linux partition DOS/Win95/fdisk does not recognize it and,
therefore, it does not exist even though is installed and running in the same box
on the same controller.

> >Did you run msdos fdisk?.

No, I use PC DOS 7.0 from IBM and it does not see the third drive.

> >And after that format -ed it?

No, since fdisk can't see it, format can't see it either.

> >This is so elemental...

I wish it were that simple.

> >Of course check any lastdrive statement in your msdos config.sys

LASTDRIVE=J

> >Hope to be of any help.
> >Eduardo
> >

> >On 28 May 2000, at 20:47, Doug McGarrett wrote:

Actually, it was Jerry Human, [EMAIL PROTECTED] How this email was
re-addressed from Doug McGarrett is unknown to me.

> >> You wrote, quote:
> >>
> >> Hello Everyone:
> >>
> >> I seem to have a problem. I have installed a third drive on my Intel box
> >> for RH and it works great. However, since the drive is so large, I want
> >> to use 6 gig of it for DOS/Win95 data but DOS/Win doesn't 'see' it. Is
> >> there any way I can get DOS/Win to access that one partition? The
> >> partition layout is shown below:
> >>
> >> _hda________
> >> | C:DOS          |
> >> |___________|
> >> | E: Win95       |
> >> |___________|
> >>
> >>  _hdb___________
> >> | D: DOS/Win95    |
> >> |__data_________|
> >> | old RH swap       |
> >> |______________|
> >>
> >>  _hdc_______
> >> |  RH 6.2       |
> >> |__________|
> >> | new swap    |
> >> |__________|
> >> | ext2 fs         |
> >> |__________|
> >> | fat32           |
> >> |__________| < this one
> >>
> >>  _________
> >> |F: /cdrom   |
> >> |_________|
> >>
> >> End quote.

Text diagram redrawn vertically in the hope that the emailer doesn't screw it up
too much. (Why can't a simple text diagram be transmitted as it was drawn?)

> >> In config.sys do you have a lastdrive configured?  I can't figure out from
> >> your diagram what DOS drive your new partition would be, but if you don't
> >> have network drives configured in DOS/Windows, you could say lastdrive=z.

I do not have a network setup as yet. The new drive hdc is going to be the first
drive in a new machine which will be built as money permits.

> >> If you do have network drives configured, you could have a conflict.  Move
> >> your network drive logins to the end of the alphabet and then set lastdrive
> >> to the last alpha character before your network drives.  That might make the
> >> new partition available.

If the diagram doesn't survive this time, would someone be kind enough to inform
me so I can try something else.

To reiterate, I have three physical ide hard drives and a cdrom in the same box.
The first and second drive are DOS and Win95 drives. A third drive (hdc) was added
and RHL was installed on the first partition. The second partition on hdc is the
swap drive for RH on the first partition. The third partition on hdc is labeled
ext2 and the fourth partition is labeled FAT32. Since the first partition is
Linux, MS DOS and Win95 choose to not recognize it. I would like to have Win95
access the fourth partition on hdc as additional data space. Is this possible?

Thank you.