>I've recompiled my kernel to include netatalk but I'm finding it difficult
>to locate answers to some basic questions. From what I can gather, netatalk
>is a way to communicate between nfs and hfs via AppleTalk? What I want to do
>is use my Linux machine as a file server for one of my Macs but I'd prefer
>to connect via TCP/IP. Is it possible to mount a linux network drive on my
>Mac or mount a Mac drive on my linux box? Does anyone have any experience
>networking Macs and Linux boxes?

It is entirely possible to mount a Linux drive on a Mac, and this is what
Netatalk allows you to do. I do it daily, for several drive resources
actually. To mount a Mac drive on a Linux box I think you would need
AppleTalk clients for Linux, which I'm not sure if there are any. But you
could run Thursby's DAVE or MacNFS on the Mac and mount it on Linux that
way. But Netatalk would be the opensource, free way.

Netatalk has nothing to do with NFS or HFS. It simply runs AppleTalk file
and print serving services on Linux (or other Unixes). You can't get rid
of AppleTalk, I believe AppleTalk IP just uses AppleTalk over TCP/IP, but
AppleTalk still has been to running on the Mac.

I used the RPM: netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4.i386.rpm (this may be older)
Then edited a few files in /etc/atalk

Here's a mailing list archive URL:
  http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/

Couple other URLs:
  http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/
  http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime_p.html

Hope that helps.

-Bob Burton
IT Consultant
Literati Information Technology, LLC

     "A Death Star means never having to say you're sorry.."
             - picture caption from Computer Games Magazine article