Hello everybody,

I am having problems on an embedded 486 development board that has an
NE2000 network interface. Running 2.2.12 kernel straight from the Cartman
install works fine. isapnp correctly assigns the port address to 0x360 and
IRQ 11. The NE2000 driver uses ne.c and in turn 8390.c. It appears that
ifconfig reads /etc/conf.modules to get the ioaddr and irq settings for
bringing up the eth0 interface.

The problem is that on the same machine with the same config 2.2.14 fails.
It incorrectly passes 0x340 to ne.c or doesn't pass it at all and ne.c
probes and gets the wrong address (not sure). /proc/ioports confirms that
the wrong ioaddr is grabbed by NE2000 but the IRQ in /proc/interrupts is
fine. Obviously with the wrong address it fails, 8390 reporting "Hw.
address read/write mismap". Running isapnp manually confirms that the card
is in the right place.

I have checked that ne.c and 8390.c are the same for both 2.2.12 and
2.2.14.

Has anybody had the same or similar problems with 2.2.14 - can anybody shed
any light? Is this related to changes for NFS /root capabilities in the
kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Bourke