Jake Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>If I was to run sshd on port 80, what are the consequences?  Will it look
>different than web traffic?  Any info is a plus!

Well obviously you won't be able to run a webserver on the same box.  Don't
know what would happen if someone tried to hit sshd running on port 80 with
a web browser - probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Given that http and ssh traffic are both TCP it probably wouldn't look
different unless you were to actually inspect the data in each packet.  The
ssh data will be encrypted so privacy won't be an issue but someone might
wonder why packets headed for port 80 on server X are all encrypted...but
that assumes that someone is even looking that closely.

The only other thing I can think of is that some Linux ssh clients try to
use a privileged port for both halves of the connection, which can be a
problem if you're trying to get around a firewall.  Those clients that do
this generally have a switch to tell them to use a "regular" (above 1024)
port though, so it may not be an issue.

Can't think of anything else in particular, although someone else might.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician
Westminster Public Library