Uncle Meat wrote:

Quote on:
More people will mean more of the hand-holding some expect. That could
eventually lead to a more stable,non-M$, 'doze-like product.

That, in my opinion, will lead many of us to lose some of what we like with
linux and get more pre-decided configurations to ensure compatability.

I'm not saying we should attempt to keep linux as a niche product. But, we
should insist that people (myself included sometimes) make an effort and
actually try to learn something before we knee-jerkedly (is that a word?)
jump right in with solutions to simple problems.

Quote off.

I half agree.  What we need is to rewrite the HOW-TO's in plain English that
the rest of us can understand, as well as the FAQ's, (which tend to be
better) and the mini- HOW-TO's, which are generally not too difficult.

Some of the stuff, expecially network-wise, is so full of jargon that the
ordinary guy can't cope.  All that would be needed would be a glossary,
defining words like "host", etc.  Any word that isn't commonly understood
in everyday English should be defined.

--doug
..