I justed to update people on the list about what I've discovered about my
problems with running cdrecord on my new Linux box. At first, I had no
problems, then I was unable to erase re-writable cds or complete the
process of writing to recordable cds. I looked through all the newsgroups
and talked to the VA Linux folks. I even emailed the author of cdrecord
who said the log files showed nothing really wrong on cdrecord's end. He
suspected a Linux kernel problem.

Turns out it was Gnome! I had been running cdrecord from the command line
inside Gnome. Last night, as a lark, I thought I would quit out of Gnome
and run tests without X. Everything worked great. And I think the reason
things initially worked well was because I was running inside KDE, but
then switched desktops to Gnome.

Why on earth would running inside Gnome cause problems like that, spewing
out error messages and scsi card timeout errors in my /var/log/message
file? I would love to hear what people think.

Gary