Hi,

I have used linux on IBM PC300GL's for a while with no real problems
except when setting up X.  The builtin S3 Trio chipset neds to be
configured manually using xf96config because XConfigurator and XF86Setup
have problems in setting up the card.  Apart from that I would recommend
the 300GL series and very stable workhorses.