We recently upgraded a set of workstations to Redhat 6.1 (with a 2.2.14
kernel) and later some to Redhat 6.2 (with 2.2.16).  They all sit on
a private network, behind a masquerading firewall (older Debian with a
2.2.12 kernel).  A Debian 2.2.12 machine sits on the local network
with an isdn connection to the masqerading firewall, and then on to
the internet.

Since the upgrade, ssh connections from the workstations out through
the firewall to the internet have been failing to connect on the first,
and usually second attempts.  Third time always appears to be fine:

e.g.

        ws8:~% ssh decrypt2; ssh decrypt2; ssh decrypt2
        read: Connection reset by peer
        Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:

i.e. the first attempt fails with

        read: Connection reset by peer

     the second fails in a slightly different way

        Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

     third time lucky!

        [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s password:

The problem does not appear when connecting to machines on the internal
network.  Internal machines still running the older Debian systems with
2.0.38 kernels never had this problem and continue to connect as before.

Once you've made a successful connection to a machine, you can continue
to make more for some time, but later on, after a time I'm yet to determine,
connections to the same point will again fail.

The problem is not restricted to ssh.  It appears with any direct
connection attempts through the masquerading firewall (such as ftp,
and direct http connections).

A web search (which of course I now can't duplicate) led me to someone
raising this issue last year in a Redhat forum, but I could find no
resolution.

Of course, any help with this, or suggestions for further investigation would
be most appreciated.

                                Greg Ryan       [EMAIL PROTECTED]