On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 08:37:42AM -0500, Justin Ellison wrote:
> Use ipchains:

> /sbin/ipchains -A input -j DENY -i eth0 -p icmp -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d  0.0.0.0/0

> Note that this not only blocks people from pinging you, but it stops you
> from pinging others.

        It also blocks all forms of ICMP including ICMP UNREACHABLE and will
break MTU discovery.  Most of the time, all you will notice is that your
performance my be slightly degraded.  Some (rare) applications and connections
have been known to just flat out break, however.  Use with caution.  With
netfilter, you can allow the WOULD FRAGMENT subtype to UNREACHABLE through
while blocking everything else.  This is what's recommended.

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/