At 10:07 AM 6/26/00 , [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The lpd man page seems to indicate that /etc/hosts.equiv and
>/etc/hosts.lpd are mandatory files to protect access to printers.  In my
>default installation of RedHat, however, there are no such files - even
>though I could of course create them.  Am I incorrectly interpreting the
>man pages?

The file /etc/hosts.lpd does need to be created to allow remote UNIX-style
printing on your box.  I don't belive /etc/hosts.equiv is
required.  However, some people have suggested that your box has to have a
logon, even a disabled one, matching the name of the remote user who wishes
to print.  If so, then possibly the hosts.equiv file would solve this problem.

The format of hosts.lpd is simple, I use IP addresses because I had trouble
with names:

[amead@myhost amead]$ cat /etc/hosts.lpd
192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2