On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 11:09:03AM -0700, Adv. Systems Design wrote:
> Greetings:

> I installed apache on Fri. and had the people in the
> university create a domain name for my IP
> address...now I am getting "Bad Request ...your
> browser sent a request that this server could not
> understand...Client sent a malformed header" whenever
> I connect using the FQDN, but WORKS FINE when I
> connect using the IP...

> Question: they gave me a name that is
> underscored...and I am wondering if in their (NT
> centric) ineptness, they gave me a name that is
> illegal:

> http://student_score.xxx.edu

> Any other ideas why I may be getting this error?

        Do you think that the fact that an underscore is an illegal
character in a domain name might have anything to do with it?

        Check the RFC's.  A dash (-) is legal, an underscore (_) is not.
Bind 4.x use to accept names with certain illegal characters (it would
accept an underscore) in them.  Bind 8 and later DO NOT and will not even
load the zone file if a name contains an underscore anywhere (found that
one out the hard way when I upgraded my name servers).

        Even if you manage to find circumstances where it seems that an
underscore works in the FQDN, you WILL find circumstances where it will
fall on it's face because some piece of software will recognize that it's
illegal.  Dump the underscore.

> Thanks

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/