I think I did something rather dumb, and not surehow
togo about correctingit.

I have redhat5.2 kernel 2.2.9
I had (still have?) xfree86 3.3.3.1
Tried to update to 3.3.5 via rpms available at
ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.2/i386/

got all the rpms i thot i needed, wasnt really
conscious at that time that my thenexisting xfree86 was nonrpm
or if I knew it didnt think it mattered.

Anyway the rpm -Uhv commands all went ok
and from rpm -qf on  Xwrapper, xinit  and other stuff
rpm responds with  3.3.5

I hadnt really noticed any real difference with my X
but then i started to see
"xfs not found " message on bootup (before doing startx)
(this is hard tocatch- the screen goes by so fast,
so maybe this was always happening but i dontthinkso)
but X still starts i think the same as before despite this.
There is one oddball-- one of my xterms i had started in my
.Xclients used color-xterm, the other xterms i started there with nxterm.
Well the color-xterm one no longer comes up.
and indeed there is a message at the end of the startxout file
something like  'color-xterm not found'

Also when I did that startx >startxout
that file starts off saying it is 3.3.3.1 !!!??
I now am perplexed to say the least.
I havent trashed my system --maybe just dumbluck
but I havent the foggiest notion of just what combo
of 3.3.5 and 3.3.3.1  my system has.

I can live with this the way it is i guess
I had wanted 3.3.5 for wmware requirements.
but that could wait until i upgrade to 6.2.....
But I would like to know just what to do to
fix my present 5.2 setup re X.

advice? scorn? laughing all the way?

Jack