Indeed, this is a new drive, with no partition table.

Sorry for not making this more clear to begin with, but in
fact my very next objective is to create a partition table
(via: 'fdisk /dev/sd[c-?]') and then lay down a filesystem
(via: 'mkfs /dev/sd[c-?]').  The problem is that I don't yet
have a device name associated with the new disk in which to
work with.  It is my expectation that during the device discovery
phase on boot, the driver (when all goes well) is supposed to map
device file names to each device that is detected.  So, I am
expecting the SCSI device driver to map 'scsi1:0:0:0' to '/dev/sdc',
but that does not happen (see dmesg output below).  I'm pretty sure
my first external disk, 'scsi2:0:1:0', was automatically mapped to
'sdb', which fdisk recognized without a problem.

I ran 'cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV update' but that did not seem to help.

Are my expectations incorrect?  Have I overlooked a step?
Do I need to manually create the raw device file somehow before
I can use fdisk to create a partition table?  Do I need to define
this disk's geometries and disk partition characteristics somehow?

The disk in question, a 'DotHill' 360WSV, is a 36GB LVD device.
Is there a size limit to the size of disk that Linux can recognize?

dmesg output:
<snip>
(scsi1:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
(scsi2:0:1:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST34371N          Rev: 0484
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
<snip>

$ fdisk /dev/sdc
Unable to open /dev/sdc

$ fdisk -l | grep '^Disk'
Disk /dev/sda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 4369 cylinders
Disk /dev/sdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 528 cylinders

Thanks,

-Mark