On 29-Jun-00 Paul Smith wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I haven't made any changes to any configuration files recently, but on
> boot up the system stops and I receive this
>
> INIT: No inittab file found
>
> Enter run level:
>
> When a run level number is entered the system hangs.  I read one of the
> archived files from this list on this same problem.  Apparently the etc
> directory needs to be located under / on the same partition .  If so,
> how do I go about placing the etc directory under / (if this is the
> problem) from a boot disk.  Haven't run into this problem before, so why
> now?  Any information would be appreciated.

You say that you haven't made changes to config files, and then you cite
that /etc must be on root. you're not saying that you shifted /etc to
a non-root partition, but you're alluding that that is what you did.

If this is the case, then boot from a rescue floppy, or a rh6.2 cd in
rescue mode, and mount / and whever you put /etc, and copy /etc
back to the root partition. by the way, make sure that /bin, /sbin, /lib
are also on root, or you'll still have problems. If you really did move
/etc, then you might want to consider a reading of the linux filesystem
standard where things like this are spelled out.

rgds,

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30-Jun-00
Time: 10:00:39

        If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
             ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.