Carey -

I have a UMAX Astra 1200 (I think) scsi scanner. It works beautifully
under both RedHat 5.2 and 6.0/6.2 with sane. I use xscanimage to actually
do the capturing, and the scans look great.

If you pick up this scanner, don't use the scsi card that comes with it
(if you get one with the card) - it sucks. It doesn't work at all. I have
an adaptec card that it's run off of that works fine, but the card that
the scanner came with didn't work at all under Windows, much less Linux.

Hope this helps,
Mur!