Actually, it goes beyond that...  I understand that _some_ winmodems have
been made to work with LINUX...  The real big difference between most
winmodems & "real" modems is the lack of DSP hardware...  A "real" modem has
ICs that do all the modulation, compression, decompression, etc.  WinModems
do this in their drivers - thus making a cheaper piece of hardware at the
expense of adding extra load to your CPU...  I imagine that on today's newer
CPUs, this is hardly noticeable.  The problem is that every manufacturer
uses a different software & hardware interface, thus making it impossible to
develop a single LINUX driver.  That's why only one or two have been made to
work...