This problem is probably the most common mail question regarding HylaFAX on
the HylaFAX mailing list.  libtiff made some fairly serious changes from
the 3.4.x to 3.5.x versions (16-bit to 32-bit processing, I think) which
cause the tiff2ps conversion to sieze up the process under HylaFAX.
libtiff-3.5.4 (default with 6.2) was buggy, and HylaFAX developers
recommended doing as you have at that time (downgrading to libtiff 3.4.x).
However, now that there is a libtiff-3.5.5 RPM, some very nice people have
released an updated version of HylaFAX that is compatible with
libtiff-3.5.5.  You should download and install the new libtiff packages
from RedHat and then download and install/upgrade the newest HylaFAX RPM
(you surely didn't try this one):

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/hylafax-4.1/binary/linux/redhat/RPMS/i386/hyla
fax-4.1beta2-5rh6.i386.rpm

Lee Howard