On 9/07/00 at 23:01 Charles Galpin wrote:

>Hi
>
>Just curious as to how these "read reciept" things work. I use good old
>pine so I didn't even notice.
>
>Looking at the headers though, I saw this
>
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Michael A. Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>so I guess this is what the client uses. Are there different kinds of
>notification you can get? I guess there is an rfc out there for all
>this.
>
>Just thinking this maybe something I could setup a little procmail recipe
>to do for specific people or domains.

Its usually meant to be a client only thing, there is sucessfully delivered
(has been accepted by the mail server) &

sucessfully displayed on clients side (means they really got it and at
least opened it)

Exchange also allows for a reciept if the client just deletes and does not
bother opening  (more of a spie thing for a boss maybe, the others let you
know something got through rather than filtered or firewalled etc)

Regards

Greg Wright
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***