From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 July 2000 12:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ifup ppp0 and ppp-watch

Peter Massey wrote:

> Heya all,
>
> I am having some major problems with the ppp-watch re-dial "daemon". I use
> my RH6.2 box as a ip masq gateway to the net through a 56k dialup
> connection. I have used netconf to setup my ppp0. I have also read a
> the connection I run "ifup ppp0" and like Bret the connection isn't
> "completed" until there is traffic sent to the remote server. This I can
> handle cos I just ping the remote server.
>
> I then run the ppp firewall script that I downloaded from Linuxberg to set
> the IP Masq firewall settings. Again no problem until I get disconnected.
> I unfortuately don't have a permanent internet account and every now and
> then have no choice and get disconnected. The real problem occurs when
> ppp-watch redials. I have a "cooling off" period where I can't reconnect
> for 5 minutes and what happens is ppp-watch reconnects. My server
> subsequently disconnects me and thus starting a vicious (and costly) loop.
>
> Is there a way to either:
>
> 1. Set ppp-watch to re-dial after 5 minutes or
> 2. Diable it so it never runs in the first place (optimal!!)???
>
> I (like Bret) tried for many many hours for a way around it. I tried
> commenting this bit out of "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ppp":
>
> >if [ "$1" != daemon ] ; then
> >  # just in case a full path to the configuration file is passed in
> >  ifcfg=$(basename $1)
> >  shift
> >  # let ppp-watch do the right thing
> >  # Peter's removed this bit
> >  exec /sbin/ppp-watch "$ifcfg" "$@"
> >fi
> >shift
>  --> and When I go to run "ifup ppp0" I get script error and wont dial
> out.
>
> If anyone can suggest something it would be much appreciated.

As I understand it your problem is that you would like the demand feature
but
your isp keeps you from reconnecting for 5 minutes after it kicks you off.
To exacerbate the issue the phone company there (Austrailia?) charges by the
call and for the five minute cooling off period ppp generates a bunch of
calls that are of no use to you but racks up charges on your phone bill.  If
this is anywhere near correct then the  thing to do would be to use the
holdoff -n option to ppp (see the man page for pppd)
If my arithmetic  is correct, the a holdoff -300 should tell ppdd in demand
mode (this implies persist according to the man page) to wait 300 seconds
before redialing after the link is terminated.

from the ppd man page:

       holdoff n
              Specifies how many seconds to wait before re-initi-
              ating  the  link  after it terminates.  This option
              only has any effect if the persist or demand option
              is  used.  The holdoff period is not applied if the
              link was terminated because it was idle.

Hope this helps.  I had to rethink the issue from the stand point of being
charged per call.  Is this what happens?  it would appear that you are not
charged for time just number of calls.  I am curious to know more about how
other countries telecos work so please let me know whether or not this is
correct.

Hope this helps,

Bret