On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Adam Sleight wrote:
> rpm -Uvh kernel-2.2.16-3.i386.rpm

It's usually a good idea to use -ivh with the kernel, so the old kernel
stays in place.  You never know when some weird driver issue is going to
make your system unusable  :)  It's good to be able to boot with something
you know works, and have used for a while, at least until the new kernel
proves itself stable.

> that's how I upgraded and I know that I only need kernel-source if I plan on
>compiling my own and
> pcmcia if using a laptop but what the heck is ibcs? Is it needed?

ibcs == Intel Binary compatiblity specification (or something real
close...)  It's purpose is to emulate the system calls of other Intel
UNIX's and allow you to run applications compiled for other UNIX OS's
unmodified under Linux.  I've heard that it's not maintained much...

I'm trying to find the time to run an SCO application under Linux using
IBCS.  I've never done it before.

>  I want to try out Gordon's kernel
> 2.2.16 rpm soon too.

cool.