Pete Lancashire wrote:

> I down loaded the 2.2.16.rpm source, rpm'ed it and then
> added a patch (HighPoint 370 chip). That all went well.
>
> My real goal is to add the patch for the HighPoint IDE
> chip, and then maybe tune up and such for the K7.
>
> Before I dig out the kernel-howto, I'm using the RedHat
> guide.
>
> I did
>   cd /usr/src
>   redid the linux symlink to point to the new directory
>   cd to /usr/src/linux
>   make config  ...Y/n/M and a lot of ???? :)
>   make dep
>   make clean
>   make boot .. here is where I get
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
> scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

This probably means your kernel source and kernel header files don't
quite match (why redhat puts them in separate rpm packages, I'm not
quite sure).  Make sure they are the same, right down to the RH revision
number.  You may have to use the --nodeps option to rpm (to force one or
the other package to install).  There's also a RedHat kernel-upgrade doc
on their site.

> The other question is in the RedHat RPM'ed kernel source is there
> the config file that matches the kernel on the CDROM ?

The first time you do a 'make config' (or whatever) it should have the
same setup as the RH install kernel.  If you use 'make menuconfig' or
'make xconfig' it will let you save the configuration to another file
before you make any changes.  Also, I usually put new kernels in
/boot/test (and leave the original there) and make sure they work right
before I make them the default.  There's a suggestion to that effect in
the kernel-HOWTO (I think).

I arrived at my kernel-upgrade process mostly through trial-and-error
(or "try it and see" :)

Steve