At 17:09 31/07/00 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I will soon have both a xDSL and a cable modem connection to the net.
>
>I want to set up a linux router use both connections.  I am thinking
>OSPF.. I have never done this, but I want to try.  My question, has anyone
>here done this?  Does anyone know how to do this?

Unless your xDSL and cable are of radically different speeds you probably
just want to do equal cost multipath (non deterministic) routing. You get
this by compiling your own kernel  and (in addition to all other
appropriate values to make your system work) you would say yes to
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER and CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH. The help text for
these two options plus the man page for the route command should tell you
everything else you want to know (this assumes kernel 2.2.16, it may be
slightly different in other versions). Basically you just need to create
two "default" routes, one for each device, and they'll both be used at
once. Note: This is MUCH easier to do if you connect your xDSL and Cable to
two different NICs (and then use a third for a firewalled/masq'd LAN). It
can be done on a single NIC using virtual interfaces, but it's not pretty
or efficient (except in terms of saving an IRQ).

For more info on compiling your own kernel: install the kernel-headers and
kernel-source RPM's. Read the Kernel-HOWTO. In general "make clean
menuconfig dep bzImage modules modules_install" works.
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?