From: Stephen L Arnold [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2000 2:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 740

On 31 Jul 00, at 1:07, Cindy Pearce wrote:

> I had this printer working beautifully in RH 6.1. I updated to RH
> 6.2 and now it refuses to work. I have been through all the
> resources I can find, specifically Bert Havercamp, Michael Holve,
> Grant Taylor and the Printing HOWTO. I had VMware for Linux Version
> 2.0 installed and running as well on 6.1.

Are you sure your parallel port is being recognized properly?  Did
you do the RH upgrade?  I just had a disastrous "upgrade" from 6.1
to 6.2, and I had to re-install 6.2 from scratch.

Verify your lp modules are loading correctly (try a different
device if you have to).  You may need to specify the device
parameters (IRQ, I/O port) in your conf.modules file.  You can also
build your kernel with lp support, but if you want to use some
other device like a zip drive, then you must compile both as
modules.  Try and cat a text file directly to the port, then a
simple script, etc.  If it worked before, it ought to work again...

HTH, Steve