On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Lee Johnson wrote:

> :)
> hi i'm having some weird trouble with my linuxOS.........
> 6.0/2.2.5-15 kernel.......qt2.1.0 ibelieve it is.....
> 3.7% non-contiguous space whatever that means..something like fragmented in
> windows i imagine.....?
>
> anyway point being that once linux is started its fine but after i start a few
> programs .....from then on whatever i try to load does not start......and
> eventually the sytem freezes altogether....
> only other thing i can think of is I downloaded helixgnome 1.2 from their
> site....full download
>
> i wonder if it messes with some system files etc.etc.....
>
> anyway whatever happened is also affecting kde.....kde use to always behave
> wonderfully when gnome wouldn't for some odd reason ........now both exhibit same
> issue.......geez....
>
> so bad i must revert to windows for now.........!!!!!!
>
> any help appreciated
> lee

Did you check to make sure you're not running out of space on the hard
drive or perhaps maxing out your memory?  Check it out with the df and
free commands.  It sounds to me as if perhaps you downloading and
installing HelixGnome pretty much filled up the hard drive, which may also
explain the non-contiguous space problem you mention in your message.