Kirk Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have finally setup dial on demand within ppp.  It works fine except
> when I start netscape.  I have it set to go to a blank page on startup,
> but it still insists on triggering the ppp and forcing it to dial as
> soon as I hit a button on startup.  It then locks up X until it
> connects, or I execute ifdown ppp0.
>
> If ppp0 is down, it will work okay.  If ppp is up but idle, it will not
> even do the blank page (or localhost) without connecting to the
> internet.
>
> Based on searching deja, I ran an strace, and it looked like it was
> trying to connect to my news server.  I couldn't find any solution to
> fix this problem.  I do use Netscape for news, but I would change if I
> had to.  I tried to delete my news server, but to no avail, it kept
> popping back up as the default news server.  I thought that even the
> request for localhost might be trigger ppp to dial, but it appears to be
> the news server based on strace.
>
> Does anyone no how to solve this?  What I would like is:
> a:  An "offline" mode that exists in WinXXX or
> b:  What it should do:  If I don't request anything outside my network,
> it should not dial.  It should not be trying to connect to my news
> server if I am not reading news.
>
> I have not upgraded to the latest Netscape issued by RedHat (I am doing
> that next), but I don't imagine it will fix the problem.
>
> Contents of /etc/ppp/options:
> lock
> noipdefault
> ipcp-accept-remote
> ipcp-accept-local
> demand
> idle 200
>
> I don't no what all of these options do, but I found them on dejanews,
> and the worked.  I include this, but it now seems to be more of a
> Netscape problem.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Kirk
>
> --
> as the Subject.

I kept on searching and trying and I figured it out.  I changed the news
server to localhost and it worked.  Since I don't have news active on my
machine, I figured it might be pinging or doing DNS.  I changed the news
server back to my ISP's and added an entry for it in /etc/hosts.  This
made it exibit the behaior described and desired in situation #2 above.
I further tried to change the name in netscape to an ip address and
comment out the said entry in /etc/hosts, but that didn't work, so it
must be trying to do DNS either way at startup on news servers.  It also
did this whether it was the default or secondary server.  If anyone
knows why it is so damn worried about my news server, I would love to
know, but at least I have solved my problem.

-Kirk