on RH6.2, rpm 3.04, I would like to upgrade to a 2.2.16-12 kernel (rpm)
from rawhide because it has the pptp masquerading patches already built
in!

However, I get an error from rpm when trying to install it.

[root@bitsy /tmp]# rpm -Uvh kernel-2.2.16-12.i386.rpm
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
error: kernel-2.2.16-12.i386.rpm cannot be installed

ok, so I downloaded rpm 4.0, but get the same error trying to upgrade it!

[root@bitsy /tmp]# rpm -Uvh rpm-4.0-0.56.i386.rpm
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
error: rpm-4.0-0.56.i386.rpm cannot be installed

So how do I upgrade to rpm 4?

I realize I can patch my 2.2.16-3 kernel, but would like to try this way
:)

thanks
charles