[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Is there a mail package supplied with RH6.x (or anywhere else for that
> matter) that can send redirected output or files to an external e-mail
> address via an SMTP server?
>
> sendmail is a bit hefty for what I have in mind...

It's a little old, but I think SMTPclient is what you need.  It's a
very simple program that sends an email to an SMTP server.  It's very slim,
kinda like a reverse fetchmail.

http://www.engelschall.com/sw/smtpclient/

Sort of like `mail` but less powerful (it can't read mail, for example)
and it has the ability to specify a host.

The "stable" tarball compiles just fine on my 6.2-ish system with a
./configure
make
make install
man smtpclient  ;-)

Something like:

smtpclient -f "from@addr" -s "subject -S "smtp.server" to.address <body.text

is all you need.

-W-

 No man is an island if he's on at least one mailing list.