On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:

> The Samba server on my Linux box can receive messages from the LAN but
> can't reply.  The Samba client, also on the Linux box, and ping are
> accessing the LAN with no trouble.

Weird stuff.  You did restart samba after reconfiguring the network,
right?  Email me /etc/smb.conf and the output of 'route -n' directly,
and I'll see if I can spot any glaring errors  ;)

> Makes sense.  Who does the routing for the Samba server, Samba or the
> kernel? If Samba is trying to send packets to 192.168.1.255 through eth0
> that would explain the problem. 192.168.1.0 is eth1.  BTW Samba worked
> fine when the LAN was hooked to eth0.  Might try that again.

The kernel always does routing, but the samba server has to know what
networks it is attached to, and how to properly address its packets for
broadcast.

I don't think it should make a lot of difference what interface the LAN is
connected to, unless you have the "interfaces" specified incorrectly in
/etc/smb.conf

MSG