Thanks for the info on root.

The reason I'm using SSH is that we have DSL users with dynamic IP's. A:
Our telnet wrappers are useless and B: even if it could be used, it's
unencrypted.

I was under the impression that with secure shell you could generate a key
on the sever that would have to be given to the work station before the
work station could access the server AND you would have control over who
gets that key. I see the exchange of keys taking place here, but it's being
done with out any directive from me.

Maybe I've been barking up the wrong tree with this.

Thanks Again

Roy

At 02:46 PM 08/23/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Look at the /etc/sshd_config file and you will see a line like this:
>
>PermitRootLogin yes
>
>change that to:
>
>PermitRootLogin no
>
>As for only allowing certain machines to connect we use IP based allow
>hosts:
>
>AllowHosts 192.168.23.24
>
>Also in the sshd_config file.

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the "Universe,"
a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself,
his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest
-a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.
This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our
personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us.
Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our
circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of
nature in its beauty. "

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The Natural Law Party www.naturallaw.org