I am trying to understand how to deal with users, groups and permissions
with directories that are mounted via nfs from a remote server. I am
mounting a subdirectory under Irix 6.5, using the xfs filesystem, from
Redhat 6.2.

The uid and gids mean different things on the remote Irix box, so I am
getting the group "games" listed when I list all the files in the mounted
directory, but when viewed locally on the Irix box, the group is "users."

On the Linux system, I have chmod'd 2775 all the directories used by a
group called "product" so that each user, when creating a file under this
subdirectory structure, will create a file with a user named "product" so
everyone else in that group can read and write it.

I have been looking at the man page for mount and am trying to figure out
if I am going in the right direction in looking and setuid and setgid, for
example. Is there a way to fool my Linux box into reading users and groups
off the mounted Irix box to comply with the "products" group under
Linux? Is this making any sense? I want everyone in "products" to be able
to read and write files and for the world to be able to read them.

I confess to being confused about all this and would appreciate any
guidance.

Gary