hi all,

i installed redhat6.2 workstation, but now have need for apache.

according to what ive read, this should work "out of the box", so to

speak.

i installed the rpm and went to start it:

./http start

it gave me something about a server name not specified. i then,

mistakingly, loaded up linuxconf and gave it one. linuxconf proceeded to

make mice meat of my apache conf file, producing ridiculous syntax

errors that a linux newbie (but programming oldie) like me could easily

spot.

red hat tech support told me they cant help with apache (i bought the

cheap version of rh), but they did basically say not to use

linuxconf...ok, so i reinstalled apache (ala windows), and entered one

by hand (localhost - yes, my hosts file is correct), and it

worked...sorta.  no errors starting, but when i browse to the server, it

sais that i do not have permission to access "/".

at some point i will no doubt have to delve deeper into apache

configuration, but for now, i need a simple server that I access and i

want to be able to throw some quick pages into the http directory and

server them!

any quick ideas??

Davros