Gregory Hosler wrote:

> On 29-Aug-00 eric clover wrote:
> > is there any known exploits that can just remove a /home dir within a few
> > seconds
> > without the hd's thrashing, like just removing any trace of the /home dir
> > ever even being there?
> >
> > for some reason(and always on a Tuesday at around 5:30-6:00, but not every
> > Tuesday)
> > our /home dir with around 4000 user dirs just goes bye-bye, no trace,
> > nothing.
> >
> > this happened to our old server. we thought it was a hardware problem, built
> > a new machine, and now after 2 months of flawless operation, BAM!!! no more
> > /home
> > same thing we had before.
>
> I'm assuming that /home is on it's own partition (you might clarify this).
>
> when you say "no more /home", could youy explain what you mean by that.
>
> The partition is still on the disk, correct ?
>
> Is /home merely umounted, and you need only to mount it back ? or
> has the /home partition been wiped clean (and is it still mounted when this
> happens), etc.
>
> rgds,
>
> -Greg

home is mounted along with / there are 2 partitions / & /boot on a 9g
RAID1
all the other dirs are there in / the only thing gone is /home, and by
that, i mean there is not even a /home dir anymore.

just a thought, if someone were to say, chmod 000 /home would that make
it look like it was just gone and not show up in a ls -al?

thank you

eric