On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> you know,
>
> rpm -qf file
>
> will tell if file pertain to some rpm package or not...
>
> how can do that for all files in the system ? (except /proc)

By the way, now that we're on this topic.  Yesterday, I needed to know
which RPM package installed the libXpm.so.4 file, and this is what I
obtained from this command that you're recommending:

[jortega@brussels tips]$ rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 file
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 is not owned by any package

Any ideas why this happened?  I mean, this is a new install, and I suppose
that there should only be RPMs installed.  I finally figured out that the
package came with the libXpm RPM package (duh!), but why didn't "rpm
-qf" returned that in the first place?