Gene Wilburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to replace an existing Perl script that does auto-FTP with scp
>(ssh1) instead. The script fetches log files from our ISP and we would
>like to close the FTP port entirely.
>
>The problem I'm having is the absence of a password option to feed
>scp. I've got past this by having Perl write an Expect script then execute
>that, but it seems a daft way to go... (I need the Perl script to do a
>bunch of date and file renaming things).
>
>Is there a better option?

ssh & scp can be setup to accept RSA/DSA keys as the authentication
mechanism, so no password is required.  The process for doing so is a bit
confusing the first time, so ask if you have questions.

You might also consider rsync over ssh rather than scp.  rsync can be used
to mirror files/directories from one server to another.  You might not even
need a perl script - just a simple bash script to kick off the rsync
job.  It can keep all ownership & permissions as well.  I use it to keep
several sets of files in sync between two servers with a simple bash script
run via cron.

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician